Monday, July 2, 2012

IT WAS EXACTLY TWENTY SUMMERS AGO

This summer marks a very special time for me. Exactly twenty summers ago, I began to fall in love with books without having to be assigned to do so in a classroom. WHERE ECHOES LIVE by Marcia Muller was the first mystery novel I ever owned, and I still own it to this day.

Grant it, the sides are creased and it has evident wear, but it was something that allowed the summer of 1992 to be one of my most memorable. It was also the summer that rained like crazy. As a young teen, I grabbed my umbrella, sat on the outside steps on the deck, pack myself a little lunch with a glass of lemon tea, and I'd read that book everyday until it was too dark to see anything outside. Then, I'd go to bed, wake up the next day, finish my chores, and do it all again.

During this time of year, the sweltering heat easily becomes unbearable and appears as though there's no relief in sight. Let's always remember those great things out there in life: tall glasses of refreshment, good books waiting to be either downloaded or opened, and going out to the nearest fishing hole with friends and loved ones for a time of cooling relaxation.

And who knows? If you look closely, the summertime blues might be easily to handle after all. We just have to look beyond the reality of life and see with our hearts. If we do that, then life's not so bad after all. ALTHOUGH...I do wish autumn would get here soon. Until then, I'll be making fresh-squeezed limeade for all to enjoy. We can sit on the front porch, sip tall glasses of lime goodness, and learn to be thankful for all the little blessings we never noticed before.

No comments: