Saturday, April 4, 2020

MY HAPPY PLACE


Just down the road from my house is a wonderful wooded area. It's a little park very few people attend, except for your occasional dog walker, bike rider, or parents who let their children play on the park's large swing set. But, however, I have found a much different use for this area, especially in the back of the park through the woods. I call it appropriately my "happy place."

Nestled in this area is a very magical area with a running stream that flows through several ornate rocks and timber. I love to come here, close my eyes, and simple take in the beauty of stillness and do absolutely nothing but bask in the treasure known as nature. 
Places like this often remind me of places my cousins and I used to go when we were children: fighting dragons with sword-branches and blowing dandelions to cast spells like wizards. We would get our feet so muddy, but we didn't care. It was all for the greater good of killing ogres and saving princesses. 

Too often, we get so caught up in the everyday rigor and rhyme of things that we forget of the solitude created by running waterfalls and the whistling tunes of birds. Out here, there are no bills to pay or deadlines to meet. The only things we have to do is take a deep breath and simple be grateful to be alive.

All this world's grief will be waiting for us tomorrow. So, for now, let's find a good watering hole. Let's kick off our shoes, wade in the water, and zap evil sorcerers with wands we made out of broken sticks. And the best part? We do this until nightfall tells us we get to do it all again tomorrow. :) 

The choice is yours and mine.

No comments: