Monday, September 27, 2010

MY ROOTS ARE SHOWING...



     Now that autumn's come along, as well as the cooler weather, one of my favorite things to do is revive an art my Grandmother Brassfield taught me with such pride. You might have to click on the strip of three photos for a better look, but it's well worth it.
    These sixteen pieces of art look rare and one-of-a-kind, right? Well, I'm half-right. In fact, if I told you what these items were before they were works of art, you might not believe me. Trust me: it's all true. They are as follows...

#1...HONEY JAR
#2...PRUNE JUICE CONTAINER
#3...CANDLE HOLDER WITH GLOBE
#4...RED DEPRESSION WARE GLASS
#5...DISPOSABLE TIN PIE PAN
#6...FRUIT JAR
#7...CANDY CONTAINER
#8 & #9...(Ready for this one?)...TWO DISPOSABLE TIN PIZZA PANS
#10...WEIGHT LOSS JUICE CONTAINER 
#11...DISPOSABLE TIN PIE PAN
#12...GLASS COOKIE CONTAINER
#13...WEIGHT LOSS JUICE CONTAINER
#14...CRANBERRY JUICE CONTAINER
#15...PLASTIC "SCOPE" MOUTHWASH BOTTLE
#16...HONEY JAR

     Amazing, huh?
     Grandma Brassfield loved watching people's reactions when she'd tell them what her crafty marvels were decorated on. In fact, we all did. I love doing this craft each year for one reason. It takes me from the hustle and bustle of the everyday "rigor and rhyme" and to a happier and unforgettable place in time.

No comments: