Tuesday, September 28, 2010

THE UNSUNG HEROES OF NATURE



     The temperature was a chilly 57 degrees today, and autumn was evident. In fact, it was so much like autumn that I had to grab my camera and head outside.
    It was a really awesome experience for two reasons. First, I got to wear my favorite chilly weather clothing: denim overalls and a University of Tennessee sweatshirt. And second...well...the second came as an unexpected surprise. It was easy for me to focus on the big signs of autumn. My attention turned toward other things; tiny things I would've never noticed otherwise. These were the precious and unsung heroes of nature.
    I call them "unsung heroes" for a very good reason. It's those precious little treasures everyone, including myself, tends to overlook, and it's quite easy to do. But once I stopped looking for big displays of nature to "WOW" me, I started looking at all the little things that never really seemed to matter before.
    In my flowerbed, there was this mushroom that stood alone, yet so exquisite. The wood paneling that keeps my mailbox propped up was faded and aged, but appeared so rustic and magnificent. Then, there were what appeared to be golden rods in an overgrown field and tiny green clovers hidden beside an old oak tree. They both possessed both an evident majesty and mysterious beauty.
    Finally, in my backyard, was the best saved for last. It was an old tree that appeared curved and festive for this time of year. Before, it was merely an old tree growing in my backyard. Today, it was priceless and unforgettable.
    Then again, everyone and everything is priceless. And they're all there, patiently hidden along the sidelines of life, waiting for us to stop and notice. 

No comments: