Wednesday, February 9, 2011

A BLAST FROM MY PAST



     I wanted to share with you something I have owned for nearly twenty years now.
     Back in 1992, I got my first VCR for Christmas and this was the first VHS I ever owned: Walt Disney's FANTASIA. A lot of my old VHS tapes have come and gone, broke and slowed down with age, but not this one. The tape is my favorite. 
     And believe it or not, I still own a VCR. Not my first one, of course. It ate Walt Disney's BAMBI, and I had to get a new one...long story. I have one of those VCR/DVD combo machines. Don't get me wrong, I love DVDs but there's something special about owning a VCR.
     I know it's probably not considered "with the times" to have a VCR or VHS tapes, especially in this Blu-Ray and DVD era, but I still watch them. One of my fondest memories in my youth was going to the video store. Remember that? The racks of movies would stretch out as far as the eye could see, just waiting to be rented. You'd get home, rush through the front door, pop it in, and all seemed right with the world.
     There's something about the click you hear when a tape is inserted into the VCR. You hear the click and get excited because you know real entertainment will soon come in the form of your favorite Hollywood heroes and heroines.
    Times may change. In fact, there will come a day when the DVD and Blu-Ray players will become mere things of the past. Twenty, maybe even thirty years from now some kid will blog about how they still own a classic DVD player, causing the new generation to scratch their heads and wonder what a DVD player is. 
    Nevertheless, there's a lesson to be learned. Enjoy everything in the now. Enjoy these precious gems that are on loan to us, because when they're gone we'll then understand they were the things that will stand true in our hearts when the next big thing roles back into town in another five years.

10 comments:

Jane said...

I really enjoyed this post. I remember the magic of the vcr I loved them,me who hardly ever watches a movie anymore.Your post brought back a very good time in my life. Thanks for sharing,and for the walk down memory lane. Blessings jane

J.E. Bolton said...

Thanks, Jane! I enjoy the trips down Memory Lane with your blogs as well. Memory Lane is always a good place to go when the real world gets crazy.

Sadie said...

My first ever VCR movie was Jungle Book:)

Thank you for sharing. A huge smile now on my face, fondly remembering how VCR's used to eat up movies. Hahahaha. Awesome.

Warm greetings, Sadie.

J.E. Bolton said...

Hey, Sadie! Thanks for stopping by. I fondly remember JUNGLE BOOK. It's kinda sad and ironic. Out of all the tapes my VCR could've eaten, why Bambi? Poor little deer. LOL.

Well, I take that back. The VCR ate Bambi and the VCR died. No one wins, but everybody gains. LOL.

Thanks for the comment.

Sadie said...

There is a story in there! And a reason. Probably a reason only the Universe itself knows, but I see a story or even a quest. Why do VCR eat movies? Or where do eaten movies go? Does a VCR secretly use a VCR bathroom when we are sleeping? Stories. Lots of them LOL

J.E. Bolton said...

LOL! Good observation, Sadie! Tape decks and VCRs! LOL...

Beartoast said...

The DVD's will probably be obsolete in just a few years. we'll have them all on our iPhones! or something.

I have neither iPhone nor DVD player, so I'll have to come watch them at your house!

J.E. Bolton said...

Awesome, Beartoast! The more friends the merrier. And I agree. DVDs will be a thing of the past soon as well. Anyone who was born this year will grow up and say, "What's a DVD?" LOL.

Thanks for stopping by.

dragonmamma said...

I've still got Fantasia on VHS, too, along with several other Disney movies. (My kids are 19 and 22.)

But I've got many that are much, much older, including the first one I ever bought: The Man Who Would Be King.

I STILL buy tons of VHS movies, because I get them at thrift stores for a buck! Heck, Rob and I can buy 20 movies for the same price as one set of movie theatre tickets.

J.E. Bolton said...

I agree, Dragonmamma, 1,000% with you. VHS tapes are only a buck and they're still good movies. I haven't been to the movies in forever because the ticket prices are anywhere between $20 to $25 per ticket.

Thanks for stopping by!