Wednesday, December 1, 2010

MY TOP TWENTY-FIVE FAVORITE CHRISTMAS SONGS

Click on the image strip above for larger image.


    Yes! Officially, 'tis the season! We've traded the turkey and trimmings for bright, red ribbons and boughs of holly. Some radio stations have officially begun their "all Christmas, all the time" schedule. This reminds me of another favorite thing of mine: Christmas music. 
     There have been so many versions of different Christmas songs that it all sounds the same...well...almost. So, without further adieu, I'd like to share with you twenty-five of my favorite all-time Christmas songs. They're listed in no particular order...


#1...SANTA BABY (Eartha Kitt for the original version; Kellie Pickler for the           
                         updated version)
#2...BABY, IT'S COLD OUTSIDE (I have yet to hear a version I didn't like!)
#3...I'LL BE HOME FOR CHRISTMAS / OH HOLY NIGHT (Josh Groban)
#4...CHRISTMAS TO REMEMBER, CHRISTMAS WITHOUT YOU (Dolly Parton &
                                                                                          Kenny Rogers duet)              
#5...PLEASE COME HOME FOR CHRISTMAS (Aaron Neville--hands down. He can croon!)
#6...JESUS, WHAT A WONDERFUL CHILD (Kelly Clarkson & Fantasia Barrino duet)
#7...WE NEED A LITTLE CHRISTMAS (Johnny Mathis)
#8...I WANT A HIPPOPOTAMUS FOR CHRISTMAS (Gayla Peevey)
#9...IT MUST HAVE BEEN THE MISTLETOE (Barbara Mandrell)
             
#10...WHAT CHILD IS THIS? (Mary J. Blige & Andrea Bocelli duet--VERY moving!)
#11...HERE COMES SANTA CLAUS / BLUE CHRISTMAS (Elvis Presley)
#12...CHRISTMAS CAN'T BE VERY FAR AWAY (Amy Grant)
#13...WHITE CHRISTMAS / IT'S BEGINNING TO LOOK A LOT LIKE CHRISTMAS (Bing
                                                                                                                Crosby)
#14...THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE HOME FOR THE HOLIDAYS (Perry Como)
#15...SILENT NIGHT / O HOLY NIGHT (Susan Boyle)
#16...ALL I WANT FOR CHRISTMAS IS YOU (Vince Vance and the Valiants)
#17...THE CHRISTMAS SONG (Nat King Cole)
#18...MERRY CHRISTMAS, DARLING (The Carpenters)
#19...LAST CHRISTMAS (George Michael and WHAM!--No other tops this version!)
#20...OUR INCOMPARABLE CHRIST (the late Rev. Leonard Dabney)
#21...WHO WOULD IMAGINE A KING? (Whitney Houston)
#22...I HEARD THE BELLS ON CHRISTMAS DAY (Fred Waring and the Pennsylvanians)
#23...IT CAME UPON A MIDNIGHT CLEAR (The Manhattan Transfer)
#24...THE TWELVE PAINS OF CHRISTMAS (Bob Rivers)
And last, but not least, #25...THE "NATIONAL LAMPOON'S CHRISTMAS VACATION"

                                            MOVIE THEME SONG!

AND ANYTHING BY THE TRANS-SYBERIAN ORCHESTRA!

     I know I've forgotten a few more and it was entirely unintentional. Nevertheless, feel free to comment on your all-time favorites and share your thoughts about Christmas Carols and yuletide music.     

2 comments:

suzanne said...

Quite an eclectic list! I couldn't begin to choose a favourite. There are just so many Christmas songs that I love. :)

J.E. Bolton said...

HALLOWEEN SPIRIT: I feel the same way. I know I've forgotten something, as usual...LOL.

Thanks for posting!