Friday, November 26, 2010

IT'S BEGINNING TO LOOK A LOT LIKE CHRISTMAS

MACY'S DEPARTMENT STORE IN ATLANTA, GEORGIA

     That's right, dear friends. Christmas is here, ready or not; and let me tell you: it was everywhere today.
    I was with some of my family at Macy's in Atlanta, Georgia today. Christmas music rang heavily out the loudspeakers, shoppers worked hard finding the best deals possible, and Santa himself even gave me and P.B.E. a great big wave. I was asked if I wanted to inform Santa of my heart's desire this holiday season.
   Needless to say, I declined. After all: I was thirty-something and there's no way Santa could give me peace among such a busy time of the year. I wanted to ask jolly ole Saint Nick for any sign of holiday tranquility. 
   Then, there it came: peace amid the chaos of Black Friday. It started at Starbucks in a venti-sized cup and bore the name of "Pumpkin Spice Latte." Then came phase two: I sat down in a secluded spot and watched the passersby reminiscing and embracing old familiar friends.
    Finally, I marveled at the sight of each child informing Santa of his or her little hearts' desires and saw the merry twinkle in their eyes. I was instantly taken in my mind to the sweet memories of my childhood; the sheer excitement I possessed, as the same fear and joy swelled up inside me seeing Kris Kringle, as it always did each passing year.
   And, involuntarily, I smiled.
   I smiled because despite the hustle and bustle of eager shoppers and Black Friday itself, the glory days of yesteryear reminded me once again there really is a Santa Claus after all.
   
   

No comments: