Sunday, November 21, 2010

MR. BOLTON HEARS A WHO



     This might come as a surprise to most, but in my opinion one of the greatest literary minds that ever existed is Dr. Seuss.
     As a writer, I'm often asked, "Who's your favorite writer?" Many anticipate names like Frost, Shakespeare, or any of the other wonderful authors of his and/or her time. Not belittling them by any means because I am a big fan of them all as well, but my preferences for choosing Theodore "Seuss" Geisel are heavily justified. His lyrical usage, his prose, cleaver usage of words are nothing short of brilliant. 
    When I was child, "THE CAT IN THE HAT" was the first book I remember owning. That, and an anthology of Mother Goose's nursery rhymes. To this day, both books proudly sit on my desk, along with my toys and other trinkets.
    I see these precious tales among my "play pretties" and something wonderful happens. I instantly forget about the worries of my day and smile. I smile because I'm in my own little world where there's only one law of the land: every Who is happy and no Grinches are allowed.
     

No comments: