Sunday, November 7, 2010

THE THANKSGIVING TURKEY

THE FROZEN TURKEY BIN AT A LOCAL GROCERY STORE

     I walked into my local grocery store and there it was: the Thanksgiving turkey bin. Picking out a turkey sounds like fun, but there's so many things to consider. Just like you'd pick out a piece of fruit, you've got to check roundness, potential plumpness, etc. The seemingly simple task can be quite daunting. 
    Then, you get it home and move to phase two: figuring out how to prepare your holiday bird to the height of juiciness and utter perfection. Of course, keep in mind one thing. You might like your turkey prepared a number of different ways, but there's only one way to serve a Thanksgiving turkey. In the company of family and close friends.
     Speaking of friends, a dear friend of mine shared this poem with me, and I'd like to share it with you. I think you might get a chuckle or two, as I did when I read it.
     ENJOY!
 
                             ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~               


THE THANKSGIVING TURKEY


“The turkey shot out of the oven
and rocketed into the air,
it knocked every plate off the table
and partly demolished a chair.

It ricocheted into a corner
and burst with a deafening boom,
then splattered all over the kitchen,
completely obscuring the room.

It stuck to the walls and the windows,
it totally coated the floor,
there was turkey attached to the ceiling,
where there'd never been turkey before.

It blanketed every appliance,
It smeared every saucer and bowl,
there wasn't a way I could stop it,
that turkey was out of control.

I scraped and I scrubbed with displeasure,
and thought with chagrin as I mopped,
that I'd never again stuff a turkey
with popcorn that hadn't been popped."

-- Jack Prelutsky

3 comments:

Jeanne said...

That's Hilarious! :0)

dragonmamma said...

I always order my bird from Willie Bird Turkeys, so I don't select mine by sight. You just give them the weight-range you want (18-19 pounder for me!) and they bring it out from behind the counter.

Which reminds me...I'd better get on the phone and order it!

J.E. Bolton said...

Thanks, JEANNE; and DRAGONMAMMA: I'm so glad you reminded me! I need to order mine, too. Thanks to you both for your comments!