Wednesday, November 17, 2010

THANKFUL THING #5: MY INABILITY TO PUT AWAY CHILDISH THINGS


     Yes, dear readers. You've read it right. I am thankful for something that makes my world carefree and happy. I'm thankful for my inability to put away childish things.
     The shelf above my desk is one for the toy box, indeed. You'll see everything, from California Raisins to Care Bears and Transformers; even Disney characters and my favorite toy as a small child: a Kermit the Frog with Velcro hands and feet.
     Remember that one?
     My "childish things" nature doesn't stop there. I have a Pac-Man baseball cap, my key chain is a bronze Mickey Mouse sitting merrily on a Bronze "J". Heck...Even my house key is Mickey Mouse. And if that's not bad enough, my P.J.'s and two watches are...guess what? Mickey Mouse, of course!
    Some people might snub their noses and think I'm...how do I eloquently put it...a little "out there," but I don't care. I love the things I had as a child. In a world of temporary happiness, the memories and items of yesteryear are the one things that will never leave or go out of style. And just as long as we keep those things alive, they'll never grow old and always remain new every single day.
    So the moral of this story is this: Do we have to become adults? Maybe, but do we have to grow up? NEVER!

6 comments:

suzanne said...

I think it's wonderful. I treasure my Star Wars toys. :D Great post!

J.E. Bolton said...

HALLOWEEN SPIRIT: Thanks for your kind comment. My seven year old niece came over to the house one day, saw my desk and her eyes lit up! LOL...

Glad you enjoy this post!

Dio said...

Anyone who snubs their nose and expects you to "grow up" is missing the joy that remaining grounded in your childhood brings.

Now, I may be biased, as I sit here with an auction window open for the second day, waiting until later this week to pay a ridiculous amount for a vintage set of ornaments just like those we put on our tree every year at Christmas.

I remember my Dad buying our set when I was very young, bringing them home in their box.
Whoever owned these must not have had monsters like my brother and me, since the box still looks new and we shredded ours early on in our *enthusiasm*.
We fought over who would place each ornament and we eventually and inevitably ended up breaking all but a few.

My Mother would now gladly give me those remaining few if I asked, but I like them on her tree - I like that they are still put there every year by her grandchildren and great-grandchildren now.

Oh holey cow, just thinking about this has added another huge bump to what I will bid.

You seem like a grown-up guy who has a great perspective on what is important and why, and who has a pretty cool Pacman hat!

J.E. Bolton said...

DIO: Thank you so much for your comment and for pointing that out. I'm glad I'm not the only one who will purchase and still use ornaments that remind me of my childhood. Remember the different- colored cellophane snowflakes? You had to pull them open and they were awesome!

And as far as the Pac-Man hat:I bought it on sale at Wal-Mart, of all places. Hey...I'm like that. I want where others dare to wear! LOL

Thanks!

dragonmamma said...

Oh, boy, can I relate...you should see the way I dress even when it's NOT Halloween! I have various super-hero t-shirts; today I was Wonder Woman at the gym. I also have Venom, Superman and Flash.

I also have the movie-taste of an adolescent male. Some of my favorite movies are the Evil Dead Trilogy and both Bill and Ted movies.

J.E. Bolton said...

DRAGONMAMMA: I think your shirts are AWESOME! I love original people and those who march to the beat of their own drum.

Thanks for commenting, and I miss reading new posts from you. You rock, my fellow blogger! Keep up the great work.