Friday, November 12, 2010

THANKFUL THING #4: LOVE CONQUERS HATE

ME AND DADDY, CIRCA 1980

     This is somewhat of a personal entry, almost too personal to be written; but one that needs to be told. In an era where everything seems hopeless, the world desperately needs light among the darkness. So, without further adieu, allow me to share thankful thing number four: love conquers hate.
    When I was five years old, my parents divorced, and my father became estranged from my life. I did get to see him on and off during my early childhood years, but that was about it. I grew up knowing nothing about how to be a man. Everything I learned about responsibility and Independence, I taught myself.
    Years passed and he became nothing more than a stranger to me. I grew up hating him, because of his absence. Everything I experienced was his fault, and everything I DIDN'T experience was his fault. It was an anger I'd never known before and a hate addiction that quickly consumed me.
    Then, in Spring of 2006, I met an acquaintance of the family who told me my father was dying of cancer. I was floored, because I wanted David Bolton to die an old man in a nursing home, I'd give him "what-for", and he'd die of shock that way. It sounds morbid, but you just had to have been there. I always thought when he died, I'd have my closure. The truth is his untimely death didn't bring closure. Instead, it magnified into a hell I couldn't have fathomed.
    Christmas 2006 came and I got the phone call from Mom. She told me she'd went to visit with him and insisted I did the same. I was reluctant, but went anyway. When I saw him in his feeble state, it was like nothing really mattered, except that moment. And when the day came when I finally forgave him, it was like years of anger and hate melted away, and the little boy in me stopped weeping in darkness and walked into gentle rays of light.
     How did I forgive him? I'm not really sure. It wasn't as colossal a change of heart as you'd think. I forgave him and just decided to let it all go. When death comes, nothing's as important as anyone think it would be, except the uncontrolled, stray thoughts of wondering what might've been. 
    On January 16, 2007, Michael David Bolton died peacefully in his sleep. And when he died, I kissed his hand and embraced him like a child. When he was laid to rest, I remembered how important it was that I said goodbye to him as my dad instead of the man I never knew. 
    His hands held me when I came into this world, and my hands held him when he left it; and that, my dear friends, was the most precious moment of my life.
   

13 comments:

Dio said...

Oh my gosh, that put a lump in my throat!

I am so glad for both of you that you could find forgiveness for him and let him go more peacefully - you would still have that weight on your heart today if you hadn't.

Thank you for sharing that - it is a beautiful story and reminds me to forgive and ask for forgiveness.

Jeanne said...

This is a very touching (and personal) post.
Being able to forgive is one of the most precious treasures.

J.E. Bolton said...

JEANNE AND DIO: Thank you both for your kind words, as always. This was the hardest thing I've ever written, as both a blogger and a writer. That lesson taught me forgiveness isn't something you do because you feel like it. You do it for youself. I'm keeping this post up for a couple days, so feel free to share it with anyone you'd like.

Thanks!

Val said...

That's beautiful. I'm sorry for the time you didn't get to have with him, but it's beautiful that you got to be there at that moment. So many people don't even get *that*, you know, and you and your dad got to share it.

J.E. Bolton said...

VAL: I know. I was extremely blessed for that moment in my life.

suzanne said...

This is a very moving post. It's good that you were able to have that time with him, even though it was at the end of his life. Thank you for sharing. :)

J.E. Bolton said...

HALLOWEEN SPIRIT: Thank you so much for your kind words. And yes, I'm very thankful. He and I fully reconciled on a Thursday and he died the following Monday. YOu never know.

Thanks to you, too. Your blog was one of the blogs that inspired me to start a blog of my own. So, THANK YOU!

Mr. Macabre said...

I was very moved by this post, especially the forgiveness, it choked me up.
Most people don't "get" what forgiveness is and the peace that it gives. I'm happy for you both that you were able to reconcile.

J.E. Bolton said...

MR. MACABRE: Thank you for your kind words. Yes, I agree. When you forgive someone, it releases all the hate and you do a real wonder for yourself.

Forgiving someone out of will and forgiving someone out of feeling are two totally different things. Glad you and everyone else enjoyed reading it.

Anonymous said...

I wanted to say that I was really moved to tears as a read this. That's not an easy thing to get me to do either. I'm passing this along to a friend of mine whose going through the same thing. I know it will be of comfort for him.
Jeffrey P.
Salt Lake City, Utah

J.E. Bolton said...

JEFFREY: Thanks for your kind words and for stopping by my blog. I hope this helps your friend.

The Artful Gypsy aka Wendy the Very Good Witch said...

Well first and foremost, I'm sorry for your loss, I can truly empathize with your post. But more than that, I am happy for your ability to forgive and form a deeper understanding of love and loss as a result of your experience. Isn't it strange how negative life experiences can transform some of us into more gracious and positive people if we are receptive to it?!

You and I share many similarities of our early childhood, which I've mentioned to you before. Divorce, and a lack of a strong bond and relationship with our Fathers. And an early loss...my Dad died unexpectedly in 2003, and I too had the opportunity to get past any lingering resentment and say goodbye to him with love and forgiveness. Strangely, in his absence, I blossomed and became the person I was meant to be, and was finally able to see that some of my best qualities and strengths came from this man who was my Father.

I believe firmly that forgiveness and loss are the BEST platforms for growth....putting much of life into perspective and allowing that gratitude you speak of, to fill us up. For me, I realized how essential and important death can be to life and living. So I try hard to live in each moment and never take things for granted.

Big virtual hugs to you! :o)

J.E. Bolton said...

WENDY: Very true. I'm a firm believer taht it takes our scars to help others heal and to make us better people. If it wasn't for this happening, I would've never known the power of forgiveness.

I used to wonder "HOW" to forgive someone. It's kinda like you do it instead waiting for the feeling of doing it, if that makes sense.

Thanks, my autumn kindred!