Friday, October 15, 2010

THE HIDDEN BEAUTY OF SACRED GROUND


     It was an early Friday morning about a week ago. The leaves were beginning to change their color, the fog settled heavy over the Eastern Tennessee region, and a new beauty emerged from a very dark place.
     There were two reasons I took these pictures of the cemetery a few blocks from my house:
     First, the fog settling heavy in the background gave this cemetery a somewhat Autumn-like, festive feeling for this time of year. Keep in mind: I do not, nor do I ever encourage the intentional disrespect of any sacred ground and/or anyone's final resting spot. I have a great deal of respect for all people, whether living or dead.
     And second, it was such a stunning view I'd never noticed before, especially the silken-laced spider's web that hung from a crooked oak tree--two more natural beauties. To me, there's something beautiful, almost breath-taking, about an old cemetery. The rustic tombstones--some at least a century, or possibly almost two centuries old. You simply can't beat it. 
     And the best part: if each sacred stone could talk--my, oh my...what a story they'd tell.
     

6 comments:

Jeanne said...

What wonderful photos! Especially the middle one with the dew on the spiderweb. It would be great blown-up and framed.
Thank you for sharing! :0)

J.E. Bolton said...

As always, THANK YOU, Jeanne, for your wonderful words!

Dio said...

Your photos show how beautiful and tranquil cemeteries really are - nothing frightening about them!
And yes, if those old stones could talk and tell of the original sadness fading away to a memory, witness to so much!

Excellent spiderweb shot! All three are nice and show reverence, but that one is a stunner!

J.E. Bolton said...

DIO: You know what's ironic? For some odd reason, I almost didn't take that picture. Now, I'm certainly glad I did, because I now see the natural beauty it possesses.

The Artful Gypsy aka Wendy the Very Good Witch said...

Ooh...I could spend hours in an old cemetery. I love them, I love to photograph them and I especially love to look at the stones and try to imagine who those people were. The shots are all so lovely, and the Spider Web shot...fantastic! :o)

J.E. Bolton said...

Thanks, Wendy! Everyone likes the spider web shot and so do I. All part of nature's Halloween decoration.