Friday, October 8, 2010

DECISIONS, DECISIONS...


    As you know, I purchased a Halloween pumpkin a few days ago. It was so beautiful the way it was that I almost hated carving it at all. Despite my feelings, it cried to me--wanting desperately to be appropriately decorated and shown off to my neighbors and other curious passersby.
    Then the big question was: What design do I use?
    The first thing I did was purchase a pumpkin carving kit. I tried to carve various things and scenes, but it didn't work. I thought I'd make a portrait of the babies, but my efforts grew more in vain with each stroke of the blade.
    Then, it suddenly dawned on me. Why does it have to be different? Why not just stick with the same face that's beloved for this time of year? So I chose it: the traditional jack-o-lantern face, and for this pumpkin it was a perfect and favorite choice.
    There are so many wonderful jack-o-lanterns with perfect designs that fit them, and I'm beyond impress with their unique displays unlike any other. But for this little pumpkin sitting in a lowly grocery store bin, it needed to be shown in its true form--face and all.
    And you know something: I think I made the right decision, don't you?

7 comments:

Mr. Macabre said...

I think you did too! I'm a traditionalist and my humble opinion is that jack o lanterns should always be carved with a face.

J.E. Bolton said...

Thanks very much, Mr. Macabre! I'm glad you like it. KUDOS to you, too, my fellow blogger on your great blog!

The Artful Gypsy aka Wendy the Very Good Witch said...

I love ugly pumpkins and traditional faces...he's perfect! :o)

J.E. Bolton said...

WENDY: Thanks for the comment. He's still going strong, too!

The Artful Gypsy aka Wendy the Very Good Witch said...

Oh my...I just re-read what I wrote and realized it came out all wrong.

I guess I should have have expressed here, that I was not insulting YOUR pumpkin when I said I like 'ugly' pumpkins...ha! No, your pumpkin is not of the 'ugly' variety...in fact, yours is pretty much the picture perfect pumpkin. What I meant to say was that I'm perfectly happy with pumpkins of humble appearance (ie. my ugly pumpkins) and with traditional faces (ie. your traditional carving).

The fancy pumpkins with all that ornate carved stuff...they are nifty and all, but in the end I still prefer a lumpy pumpkin and an iconic grin. I hope you know what I meant. I would never call your pumpkin ugly. :o)

On a separate note, my captcha below is "comakill"...I hope that's not some kind of omen...eeegads! :o(

J.E. Bolton said...

WENDY: No worries at all! It's all good, my fellow autumn person. Thank you for your wonderful comments.

Judy@cutest-little-things.blogspot.com said...

There's something to be said for keeping things simple. You can never go wrong with traditional!

Happy Halloween!

Thanks for joining my blog!

Judy@cutest-little-things