Monday, January 17, 2011

MY SECRET OBSESSION

     Yep, I've got a confession to make. I'm a guy who happens to love candles. In fact, my love for candles is so great that I could live in a Yankee Candle factory.
     My love of candles started when I was a child. Aunt Jo, my mom's sister, decorated her house for Christmas one year. She waited until it got dark outside and invited the rest of us family members to her house, that was just below our home. The tour of her house started from the back. The closer we walked to the tree, the more candles there were. Knowing Jo, we knew whatever she had planned to show us was going to be nothing short of spectacular.
     And I can tell you, we weren't disappointed. 
     When we arrived in the room where the tree was, there was a cavalcade of silver candles shining everywhere. It was absolutely breath-taking. Then again, everything Jo did was extraordinary and unique; valuable lessons that have carried me for many years.     
     The truth is we all have good obsessions, whether it's candles, holidays,  various collections of interest, or whatever. It's good to know when life becomes too serious sometimes and every usual task becomes painfully daunting, these priceless outlets will always carry us to a better place in the world. 

4 comments:

Jane said...

I share your love of candles, they are treasures.I could also live in a yankee candle factory, but I would rather just take them all home with me!,Blessings jane

J.E. Bolton said...

Thanks for your wonderful comment, Jane. There's something so peaceful about candles, almost hypnotic. I'm glad I'm not the only one with that love.

The Artful Gypsy aka Wendy the Very Good Witch said...

I'm a candle girl too. And I used LOVE Yankee Candles for many years. Actually I still do, but I quit using their candles because they would always leave greasy black soot over things around them. I had to switch to soy candles to avoid that. But I always stop by the Yankee Candle store, and I use their room sprays and wall plug-ins instead. My favorite scent is Midsummer's Night! I know it's strong, but I just adore it's magical smell.

J.E. Bolton said...

WENDY: I had no idea they did that. Thanks for letting me know so I'll never put anything near them.

Also, my favorite scent of Yankee Candle is Vanilla Lime. I love how it makes everything smell, and lime's such a clean, citrus scent when it's lit anyway.

Thanks for dropping by, as always!